photo siri_home.png    photo siri_herandhim.png    photo siri_photography.png    photo siri_ibelieve.png    photo siri_shop_zpsf1c12f66.png    photo siri_contact.png

A Baby and Her Doggies

From the moment people knew that I was pregnant, 
there was one question that I was asked over and over again. 
"What are you going to do with your dogs once the baby comes?"
Like I was supposed to answer, 
"Oh you know, we'll just get rid of them."
Not so people. 
Not so. 
I knew with every fiber of my being how my dogs would react to my baby. 
I knew how much they would love her. 
 And so I answered to those askers,
"They will be the best big brother and sister ever!"

I waited in eager anticipation of the day that I could not only have my baby, 
but also bring her home to meet her doggies.
 When that day finally came, 
I held my breath as we walked in the door and told chocolates to lie down on the ground.

Pappa Bear carefully sat down with Little Muppet in his arms.
Then he said, 
"Say hi to your new sister."
Bamse eager stretched out his neck to sniff her.
Ever so gently he gave her the tiniest kiss on her ear without smothering her.
Saga waited her turn and then gently sniffed her as well. 
It was obvious that the Chocolates had known something was coming, 
and this was it. 

They knew just what to do. 
Be gentle. 
And love her.


The Chocolates quickly realized just how much they liked this little bundle of fun, 
and they have taken to showing it in different ways.
Saga has determined that the only way to be sure that Little Muppet is safe and happy, 
is to sniff her every time she is taken from her sight and then returned.
For example, 
if I walk into the baby's room to change her diaper and then walk back into the living room, 
Saga has to sniff her. 
Then she meanders off contentedly to sit on her blanket.

Bamse has taken to showing his affection too, 
just differently. 
He has decided that about five steps away from the baby is too many.
If I leave her in her swing, in her boppy, or on a blanket on the floor, 
and take more than five steps away to get something, 
he immediately takes up post next to her. 
The Chocolates are not allowed on our living room rug, 
but when I walk out to grab something and I come back to see this, 
it seems like a dumb rule anyway. 

I'd much rather have him next to her watching over her. 
He will sit next to her for hours just watching her and never moving when I let him. 


So yes, the Chocolates are still as much a part of our family as ever. 
Yes, they have certainly fallen for our Little Muppet. 
Yes, they get over zealous and lick her too much sometimes.
Yes, she smiles because she thinks that these huge beasts are funny. 
Yes, they follow whoever is holding her.
Yes, they whimper when she is crying and they can't get to her.
 Yes, she will have the best guard dogs watching over her as she grows.

I thought I knew the extent of their love when I watched how they loved me,  
and how they loved Pappa Bear, 
but it is nothing compared to how they love Little Muppet. 
I am awed by how they just know to protect her and be gentle with her. 



 I love being Mamma to this baby and her doggies. 


post signature
 photo facebook.png photo instagram.png photo blank.png photo twitter.png photo mail.png photo pinterest.png