photo siri_home.png    photo siri_herandhim.png    photo siri_photography.png    photo siri_ibelieve.png    photo siri_shop_zpsf1c12f66.png    photo siri_contact.png

Svea's Nursery Reveal

So I've always had this problem.
I can be working away at something and suddenly
BAM!
A poem will come into my head, 
word for word
just dying for me to write it down.

I am working on something else, 
so naturally I try to ignore it.
But it's no use.

If I don't write the poem down
it bothers me
and bothers me
until I do!

That is pretty much exactly how Svea's room came to be.
We moved into our "fixer-upper" home two years ago
and I knew we would have a lot to work on. 
A lot of things needed repairing 
and all the rooms were the same...
an ugly off white/almost yellow color.
Empty.
Hollow.
Sad.

The second we had our belongings moved in, 
I started with adding photos to the walls, 
to try to make the place our own.
But I've come to realize that you can't just make a place your own all at once.

You have to live in it. 
You have to make moments in it.
Like my poems, you have to envision how you want it, 
and put the work into it. 
Every detail that makes my home better for me
or more beautiful to me, 
is because Lance and I worked at it. 

So here we are at the beginning. 
Since I don't have one of Svea's room, 
this will have to do. 
Her room looked exactly the same, 
just with tacky eclectic night stands and puke green sheets on the guest bed.
This was our room the night that we moved in.

Book, stuffed animals, back roller, lamp, and tissues. 
We were rockin it.


For a while, 
I didn't really know what to do, 
other than put pictures randomly on the walls.

Any money we saved went right back into fixing our house
and taking care of needed repairs. 

About a year later,
we still hadn't gotten to really change anything aesthetic
in the house.
I didn't have the right motivation.
I didn't have the right poem in my head yet.

Then when Lance and I started talking about having a baby, 
and eventually got pregnant,
my mind was consumed with all things baby.

I dreamed every night about my little girl.
I told myself that it was probably going to be a boy just because 
the little girl I kept dreaming about seemed too perfect to be real.
I found out later that I shouldn't have second guessed myself.
It was Svea.
Even the way she looked as a baby was right, 
so I'm dying to see if the little toddler face I dreamed about
ends up being hers too.

Anyway, one day I walked into the empty room 
that was to become hers
and I tossed a onesie from the clearance rack at Target
into the closet.
When I turned around my husband was standing there smiling at me.
I smiled back.
I couldn't imagine what joy this room would hold.
He told me that he was thinking maybe he'd like to put up 
wainscoting around the room.

BAM!
It hit me.
The whole room laid out in my mind like a poem.
I knew what the walls looked like.
I knew what the furniture looked like. 
I knew the colors. 
I knew the very light that would flow in and land on a sleepy eyed baby
smiling at me from her crib.

And so it began. 
We saved and scrimped.
I thrifted.
I used baby shower money.
 We used what we had
and waited for sales on what we didn't.

The last thing I needed to work on was the feeling of the room.
 One of the biggest things 
that I wanted to feel in her room
was love.
I wanted to feel like the things in her room were made with love.
Not all on a mass production line.

So I searched carefully for handmade items 
from shops, 
bloggers, 
friends, 
and family
that would fill my little babe's room
with love. 

I also fiddled with a theme until I finally settled on the perfect one.
Whales.
To me, whales are one of God's most beautiful creations. 
Great massive things that swim with grace, 
love and teach their young, 
cling to families, 
and express feelings in a way unlike any other animal. 

It's as if they had to be designed 
in such a massive size 
because any smaller form couldn't have held their beautiful souls. 
I knew my babe would have a soul like that. 
I could feel it. 
She would have a soul barely containable by her lovely little body.
So whales it was.

Now her room is done.
And it blows me away the difference it makes 
to see my poem on a canvas
every time I walk into the room. 

I would rather sit in her room than any other room of the house
and snuggle her 
and feel at peace in a sanctuary that Lance and I created for her.

Now I know what it is to create a space.
I've had that BAM feeling again since finishing her room
and will be sharing the next room I finish when the time comes.

For now, I hope you love Svea's Nursery. 


Swedish vinyl wall plaque by our friend Jannicke Godwin, Maternity Photos by Ten22 Studio
Origami ABC Art by our friend Lydia Hill, Mother & Baby Sketch is a Family Heirloom, 
Red Button by Hobby Lobby, Whale Mobile by Seeds & Some
Crib from Target, Striped "S" created by me, Frames from IKEA
and Blanket by A Pretty Life Shop (Me). 



Anchor Marquee Sign by Junk Art Gypsyz, White Teddy Bear by Hallmark 
(given to Svea the day she was born by her Morfar)




Handmade Whale Doll by Talpa Things

Tassel Garland by Studio Mucci, Hanging Frame is an antique find, 
Gray Rug from Target, Red Rocking Chair by our friend John Wilborn



Cloud & Hearts Mobile by Baby Jives, Bookshelf by IKEA,
Sea Creatures & Shark Prints by Lucy Darling Shop
Shoe Box from Home Goods, Muppets Plush by Disney
Ms. Deer by Maileg from A Little Bundle
Teddy Bear is mine from when I was born,
Bamboo plant given to us by our friend Dia us the day Svea was born to grow with her







Dresser, Wall Frames, & Lamp from IKEA, Family Photo by Ten22 Studio
"I Love You Much More" Whale Print by Simply Sweet Prints, Whales Print by Lucy Darling Shop
"Heart of the Sea" Watercolor Print by Shelly Sea Design, Custom Family Watercolor by Peanut Brittle Art
Darcy & Elizabeth Peg Dolls by Landon's Toy Box, Dresser Frames from Michaels,
Headband by Monroe & Harlow, Whale Wall Decor by A Pretty Life Shop (me)







Sheer Curtains by IKEA, Rocking Glider by Storkcraft
Knit blanket from Target, Custom Handmade Family Dolls by Betty Dolls


Frames from the dollar store and painted by me, Custom Bird Mobile by Baby Jives
Outlet and Light-switch covers created by my husband, 
Changing Table, Changing Pad, & Diaper Pale from Babies R Us
Moccasins by Freshly Picked, Diapers and Bath & Body Products by Honest
"Love You" Night Light by Housey Home, Changing Pad Cover from Amazon, 
Stuffed Whale from Bonanza




Narwhal Shorts by Mag+Pie

Sea Horses Light Up Soother by Fisher Price, Yellow Lab plush by IKEA
Chocolate Lab & Whale Comfort Blankie from Target, Custom Heart Rattle by Bannor Toys
Wooden Ring Teethers by Noah & Olivia, Red Chevron Elephant by Kelsey Bang
Kiki Elephant Teether by Callison






Headband by Monroe & Harlow, Onesie by Lime Leaf Threads
Striped Yoga Pants by Kennedy's Collections


If you have any questions about any products in Svea's room, 
please feel free to comment and I would love to talk with you about it!
Also, today is the last day to enter our big giveaway to win several of the items pictured
so check it out!
post signature
 photo facebook.png   photo instagram.png   photo blank.png   photo twitter.png   photo mail.png   photo pinterest.png